Meatballs in beer is a classically Dutch winter warmer, traditionally served as an evening meal in the colder months when the sun disappears early. If you can get it, this recipe is most authentic when served with a Dutch beer – Heineken springs to mind – but any lager will do. This tasty dish is a winner with the fussiest of eaters and kids just love them! This dish works equally well as a main or entree, or even as party food – serve with small skewers handy.
Recipe: Gehaktbal Met Bier
- 500g beef mince
- 1/2lb (250g) pork mince
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups beer
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3 tbsp milk
- Olive oil
- 1 slice of bread (remove crusts)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- After soaking the bread in the milk, mix with the meat, egg, nutmeg and seasonings.
- Make into balls (either 8 large or 16 smaller ones if preferred).
- Lightly brown the balls in the olive oil then add the beer.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix the butter with the flour then add it gradually to the beer and meatballs whisking to ensure no lumps form.
- When the sauce has thickened it is ready to serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4
Dutch Meatballs With Beer,